Position title: Design Specialist
Team: Marketing Communications
Reports to: Manager Marketing Communications
Job type: Part-time (0.8)
Date: February 2021
About the Alannah & Madeline Foundation
The Alannah & Madeline Foundation was set up in memory of Alannah and Madeline Mikac, aged six and three, who were tragically killed with their mother and 32 others at Port Arthur, Tasmania, on 28 April 1996. In memory of his daughters, Walter Mikac and a small group of volunteers set up the Foundation with the belief that all children should have a safe and happy childhood without being subjected to violence. The then Prime Minister launched the Foundation on 30 April 1997.
- identifies issues that adversely affect the wellbeing of children; we work to help them recover and protect them from bullying and violence
- works across the spectrum of prevention and care to deliver state-of-the-art, evidence-based programs and products
- works with the best minds to identify and reduce significant threats to children’s safety through innovation and partnerships
- speaks out on the need for systemic change to build a supportive and safe society.
We are committed to Child Safety and our Child Safe Policy outlines our safe practices for children. The Foundations values are caring, friendliness, respect, responsibility, valuing difference and including others.
Position in Context
Reporting to the Marketing Communications Manager, the Design Specialist is a member of the Marketing and Communications Team and has shared accountability to support the delivery of the Foundation’s marketing communications strategy.
The Design Specialist will manage the ongoing development of our branded assets and materials, across print and online mediums, for the Alannah & Madeline Foundation and Dolly’s Dream brands and will act as one of the Foundation’s lead brand champions.
Freedom to Act
- The Design Specialist works according to the policies and procedures of the Alannah & Madeline Foundation.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Lead the direction and delivery of the Foundation’s graphic design requirements, including the production of creative and engaging print and digital content including website, advertising, electronic newsletters, banners, social media content, video and more.
- With our Senior Advisor – Brand, manage the ongoing development and implementation of our brand and associated guidelines and act as one of the Foundation’s brand champions.
- With our Senior Advisor – Brand, be responsible for our suite of branded assets including logos, templates and photography.
- Collaborate with team members to innovate new and embed existing creative concepts and designs to meet briefs and organisational objectives across our fundraising and program delivery functions.
- Effectively manage overflow resources to ensure design jobs are completed to time and budget.
- Develop long-term relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute positively to the Foundation’s culture through developing and maintaining collaborative relationship with colleagues.
- Other tasks as requested by the Marketing Communications Manager, Senior Advisor – Brand, Head of Marketing Communications and the Senior Leadership Team.
Knowledge, Experience & Requirements
- At least four years’ experience in graphic design, with at least two years of brand-focused design experience (working in-house within an organisation).
- Tertiary qualifications in a design field (desirable).
- Experience developing effective and engaging marketing and communications materials and assets across both print and online/digital.
- Extensive expertise with the Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator (essential).
- Video Production and/or animation experience (desirable).
- Web design and UI/UX design expertise (desirable).
- Well-developed communication skills, experience and maturity to relate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional ability to multi-task and project manage with superb attention to detail and a “can do” positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative team environment.
- Experience in or with a not-for-profit organisation and furthermore with a fundraising department (desirable).
- Working with Children Check and Police Check (only required if the successful applicant).